Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Blue Skies and Puppets


When Josh and I left for our travels I was quite adamant that we could each have one wheelie suitcase and a backpack and that was it!  In Sweden the thought of my suitcase being any heavier was enough to resist the temptation of shopping.  I have tried to limit my purchases to personal care items (shampoo and deodorant being the two things I forgot to pack) and postcards to send to my mom.  But geez or geez, the marketplaces in Prague are so tempting! 
You have to understand I come from a long line of serious shoppers. Okay, not so long – but my mom clearly passed on the shopping gene to me and my sister and from all evidence all five nieces inherited the gene also.  There are also some pretty strong shopping genes in those members of the family with a Y chromosome – but that is another story.

As I walked through the shops and outdoor markets in Old Town today I felt my resolve wavering.  I love the marionette puppets that are sold everywhere in Old Town.  I have loved marionette puppets ever since my dad bought me a Pelham Puppet Gretel when I was about five years old.   But today I managed to just look and take a few photos.  


In spite of the forecast for light rain all day, the clouds disappeared and the blue sky emerged.  The view from the Old Town side of the Charles Bridge was picture postcard beautiful.  Any of my students can tell you that I am constantly encouraging them to live in the present moment.  I am sure I repeat this advice so many times because I am really lecturing myself.  It is easy for my mind to drift to the weeks ahead and think about what details I have not yet arranged.  It is also easy for my mind to drift back to St. Peter and wonder, and worry, about everything and everyone at home.  However, on this day, under these glorious blue skies, both body and mind were taking in the sights and sounds of Prague.
I am in Eastern Europe so time to quote an Eastern European.  Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote, “Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people.  Let your memory be your travel bag.”  Even sticking to those rules – my travel bag is overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment